Jump To Navigation

Child Custody & Grandparents Rights

Do you love going on Sunday rides with your little biker buddy? Do you hope to be able to teach your son or daughter how to ride your Harley when he/she gets their license? If you are getting a divorce from your child's mother/father or you were never married to the child's mother/father, there are options you can pursue in order to maintain a strong relationship with your child and spend time with them. If you are dealing with a child custody issue, you need an experienced child custody attorney to represent you.

In representing many family law clients at my practice, I understand how emotional and heart-wrenching a child custody case can be for the parents and the children. As an attorney who grew up riding bikes, I also understand how spending time with your kids and teaching them the ins and outs of your prized possession, your bike, and instructing them on biker safety is very important to you. Making sure that you receive a fair share of physical custody time with your children is your highest priority, and should mean the same to your child custody attorney as well.

Florida Timesharing Law

If you are contemplating the end of a relationship that involves minor children, you need to realize that you will no longer get to spend as much time as you want with your little biker buddy. If you are separating from the child's mother/father, it is likely that you will only get to spend about half as much time with your little biker buddy as you did when you were still with your child's mother/father. A Florida child custody attorney, however, will do what they can to get you as much time with your little biker buddy as possible, so even if it is less often, you will still have the opportunity to go on rides around Miami with your child.

Florida and Pennsylvania Child Custody Agreements

A high number of parents are able to come to an agreement on the best type of custody arrangement given their family situation. In Florida, an experienced Florida family law attorney can assist Miami parents who have agreed upon a custody schedule to formalize their arrangement into a custody order, which is the same a Pennsylvania family law attorney can do for parents in child custody disputes in Pittsburgh. Having the agreement made into a custody order allows both parties the right to enforce the agreement in a Florida or Pennsylvania family law court if future disputes occur between the parents.

If parents cannot come to an agreement on child custody, the process will proceed to a family law court. At court, a judge will decide the custody arrangement based on what the judge believes is in the best interest of the child. In this situation, an experienced Pennsylvania child custody attorney can help the Pittsburgh parent show the court why the custody schedule he or she is seeking is in the best interest of the child. A Florida child custody attorney will attempt to do the same for a parent with a Florida "time-sharing schedule," as the custody schedule is now called in the state.

Pennsylvania Child Custody

Two major subtypes of child custody in Pennsylvania include physical custody and legal custody. Physical custody means spending actual time with your child(ren) and can be ordered in many different ways in a PA Child Custody Order. The other major category of custody in Pennsylvania includes legal custody - or the ability to make important decisions on behalf of the child such as educational, religious, and medical.

Pennsylvania Grandparents' Custody Rights

Grandparents can obtain partial or primary custody rights of their grandchildren under PA child custody laws and can also seek visitation rights. Grandparents may seek this custody rights if the child(ren)'s parents are deceased, if the parents have never been married or were married but separated for more than six months, the parents are divorced, or the grandchildren have resided with the grandparents for more than 12 months and then were removed from the home. A grandparent can also seek custody rights in PA if they were acting in loco parentis to the grandchildren - meaning they were in effect acting as the child(ren)'s parents.

Florida Grandparents' Custody Rights

Grandparents in Florida cannot seek custody in the same way they can in Pennsylvania. In Florida, there are only limited circumstances where grandparents may seek custody of their grandchildren. Grandparents in Florida can intervene in child dependency cases so that they may be named as a placement option for their grandchildren to live with them instead of a non-relative. Also, Florida Grandparents can adopt their minor grandchildren if both or just one of the child's parents are deceased or the parents are not able to parent the child(ren).

Need a Child Custody Attorney?
Contact the Biker Chick Lawyer!

Going through a child custody case, or seeking Grandparents' custody rights, without an attorney is a big mistake. Your child(ren) and grandchild(ren) are your most important possessions, and you want an attorney who will zealously represent you in your custody matter. If you are a biker and are seeking legal assistance in a child custody case, contact me, Lisa Marie Vari, the Biker Chick Lawyer at 1-844-245-3724 (or email me) for a FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION to discuss your custody case in PA or FL. If your problem is in another state, contact me anyway and I'll put you in contact with a lawyer in your state who can help you with your child custody matter.

We can take appointments in our Miami, Florida or our Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania offices - and in some cases, can find a mutually convenient meeting location.

Don't attempt to go through the child custody process without an experienced attorney - contact an attorney who rides to make sure that you are not "riding alone" through your custody matter!

Return to Home

Motorcycle Events & Tips

The phrase Biker Chick Lawyer and its accompanying logo are Registered Trademarks of Lisa Marie Vari d/b/a Lisa Marie Vari & Associates.

Contact Information

Manor Building, Penthouse Suite
564 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Phone: 412-281-9906
Fax: 412-281-9908

Vizcayne Tower, Suite 2202
244 Biscayne Boulevard
Miami, FL 33132
Phone: 305-222-7351
Toll-free: 1-844-BIKER-CHICK (1-844-245-3724)
Fax: 305-329-2563

avvo badge Child custody

Do You Have A Case?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.